EMT & AEMT Certification and Paramedic Licensure Verification
Certification and Testing
- How to Become a California EMS Responder
How to renew an EMT certification
- In order to recertify, an EMT must possess a current EMT card and have obtained either 24 hours of approved EMS continuing education or an approved 24 hour refresher course within the past two years. Any refresher course or CE must be through an approved training program. Additionally, EMTs are to complete the “EMT Skills Competency Verification Form” EMSA-SCV (07-03) that you can find here. National Registry certification does not need to be renewed for recertification in California. Once these criteria are met, contact the local EMS agency to apply for recertification.
EMT/Paramedic Test Sites for National Registry Exams
- Pearson Vue - click on View Pearson Professional Center Locations.
EMT TRAINING PROGRAMS
- Search for Approved Paramedic, EMT, AEMT, and MICN Training Programs
- National Registry of EMTs EMT Pass Rates
Student Alert: Before enrolling in an approved paramedic training program be sure to find out the date by which the paramedic training program must be accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of EMS Professions and whether the program will be accredited by the required date. Any student graduating from a non-accredited paramedic program after the date by which the program should have been accredited, may be ineligible for licensure. The required date for accreditation for each training program is noted on the Approved Paramedic Training Program list under Accreditation Status. To find out whether the training program will be accredited by the required date, you should contact the local EMS agency which is the approving authority for the paramedic training program.
- Search for California Approved Continuing Education Providers
- CECBEMS Approved Continuing Education Courses/Providers
- EMTs and AEMTs Deployed to California on Mutual Aid [DOC]
- EMT Regulations [PDF] [Word]
EMT Skills Verification Form [PDF] [Word]
- Instructions for Skills Form [Word]
- Request for Approval Undefined Scope of Practice [PDF]
- EMT Frequently Asked Questions (Includes Reciprocity Information)
- Transition courses for NREMT (Contact Local EMS Agency)
- Advanced EMT Regulations [PDF] [Word]
- Advanced EMT Skills Verification Form [PDF] [Word]
EMT Central Registry: Information for Certifying Entities
Only Certifying Entities can access the registry.
- Project Information
- Blank User Form (for Certifying Entities only)
- Creating A New EMT Record
- Creating A New EMT Record with NREMT Exam Results
- Renewing An EMT Record
- Reinstating An EMT Record
- Reinstating An EMT Lapsed Greater Than 24 Months
- EMT Initial Certification Eligibility, Renewal and Expiration Cycles
- Checking Compatibility View Settings