Guidelines for Access to EMS Authority Public Records
Public Records maintained by the EMS Authority will be available for inspection by members of the public pursuant to the following procedures:
- Public records maintained by the Authority shall be available for inspection during the regular business hours of the Authority.
- Requests for inspection or copying of public records:
- Should be specific, focused and not interfere with the ordinary business operations of the Authority. Where a request is not specific and focused, Authority staff will assist the requester to identify the requested information, describe the technology or physical location of the record, and provide suggestions of how to overcome practical barriers to disclosure. The operational functions of the Authority will not be suspended to permit inspection of records during periods in which such records are reasonably required by Authority personnel in the performance of their duties. If the request requires review of numerous records, a mutually agreeable time should be established for the inspection of the records.
- Should be directed to the office, division, branch, or section of the Authority which created and has ownership responsibility for the desired records. If the requester does not know which component is responsible for the desired records, the request for inspection should be directed to the Public Records Coordinator of the Authority for routing to the appropriate level.
- Should sufficiently describe records so that identification, location, and retrieval of the records can be achieved by Authority personnel.
- Are encouraged to be made in writing unless the request involves records which are maintained by the Authority for the purpose of immediate public inspection.
- If the requester does not make the request in writing, the Authority staff member who receives the request should put the request in writing for the requester.