EMT2010 Background Check Process
Background Check Process
- Have your governing board adopt a resolution authorizing your agency to obtain criminal history information for employment or certification purposes using the sample resolution below. (City Council, Board of Supervisors, Special District Board, etc.)
- Once the resolution has been adopted, fax the resolution along with a cover sheet that contains your contact information to Nichole Develey at (916) 227-0696.
- The resolution will be checked by the Department of Justice staff.
- DOJ will forward the resolution to the FBI for review once it has been approved by DOJ.
- Once the FBI review is complete they will send me a letter with their findings to DOJ.
- DOJ will then send a letter to the requesting agency letting them know if they have been approved or denied.
- Once the agency has been approved then they will send in their ORI packet to DOJ for processing.
Time frames (After obtaining the resolution)
- If you have no current ORI expect 3 to 4 months
- If you have and ORI but you do not receive FBI information expect 2 months.
- If you have an acceptable resolution on file and wish to begin receiving FBI or subsequent arrest information expect 1 month.
For the most up to date sample DOJ/FBI resolution language, please contact Nichole Develey of the Department of Justice at (916) 227-2720 or Nichole.Develey@doj.ca.gov.